A creative problem-solving adventure
Contest Support provided by UT Tyler School of Education & Psychology
Mindset Breaking Experience© is a team competition in which each team demonstrates its collective ability to think divergently in solving problems and be scored on the creativity and effectiveness of the solution. Problems are a variety of verbal and tactile.
The contest has proven to be a favorite for many schools. Preliminary rounds are held for each level in November with the Final round held in late January or early February with other Academic Rodeo contests.
There are three levels of competition:
- Elementary - grades K through 5
- Middle School - grades 6 through 8
- High School - grades 9 through 12
Each school or group may register 1 team for Elementary and Middle School levels and 2 teams for the High School level. Teams consist of 5 to 7 members.
Sample problems are provided for coaches. Resources from other problem-solving contests can also be helpful in preparing students. The objective in coaching is to break the mindsets that limit how resources can be used and help the team learn to work cooperatively and creatively in solving challenges.
- Students from teams which do not place receive a
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places are awarded in each level.
- Members of placing teams receive a place ribbon and the team receives a trophy.
- Each Elementary member of a placing team receives a cash award of $25.00, $15.00 or $10.00. Middle School and High School members of placing teams are eligible to apply for Academic Rodeo Scholarships.