Students construct a garment or purchase after comparing
Contest Support provided by Texas A&M AgriLife Extension and local volunteers
There are 3 Levels:
- Elementary - grades 3 through 5
- Middle School - grades 6 through 8
- High School - grades 9 through 12
There are 3 Divisions:
- Construction - Students construct a garment using traditional sewing methods and techniques.
- Nontraditional Construction - Students construct a garment from non-fabric items, such as duct tape, and without traditional sewing methods.
- Smart Buying - Students do comparison shopping to purchase a garment.
There are 4 Categories:
- Casual - Clothing for school or casual outings
- Dressy - Clothing for dressier functions such as church or special dinners
- Formal - Clothing for formal events
- Specialty - Clothing designed for a specific purpose, such as exercise wear, pajamas, costumes, etc.
- All students who do not place receive a
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places are awarded in each category and these winners receive a place ribbon.
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places are awarded in each
Division of each Level. Winners receive a medallion. Elementary winners receive a cash award of
$25.00, $15.00 or $10.00. Middle School
and High School winners are eligible to apply for Academic Rodeo Scholarships.