Contest Support provided by UT Tyler School of Education & Psychology
In Mindset Breaking Experience© each team demonstrates its collective ability to think divergently in solving problems and be scored on the creativity and effectiveness of the solution. Problems may be verbal, tactile, kinesthetic, or a combination.
The contest has proven to be a favorite for many schools. Preliminary rounds are held for each level in November with the Final round held in late January or early February.
NEW for 2020: There are four levels of competition:
- Primary - Grades K through 2
- Intermediate - Grades 3 through 5
- Middle School - Grades 6 through 8
- High School - Grades 9 through 12
Each school or group may register 1 team for Primary, Intermediate, and Middle School levels and 2 teams for the High School level. Teams consist of 5 to 7 members.
The objective in coaching is to break the mindsets that limit how resources can be used and help the team learn to work cooperatively and creatively in solving challenges.
- Students from teams which do not place receive a
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places are awarded in each level.
- Members of placing teams receive a place ribbon and the team receives a trophy.
- Each Elementary member of a placing team receives a cash award of $25.00, $15.00 or $10.00. Middle School and High School members of placing teams are eligible to apply for Academic Rodeo Scholarships.