Teams of 4-H and FFA students identify a selection of plants and characteristics of each plant in this competition.
The Agricultural Science Teacher or 4-H Club Leader should register the team online using the form below (Click Register) by September 16, 2016. The team checks in at The Park of East Texas grounds (directions listed below) prior to the start of the contest on the contest date.
There is no fee for entry.
Contest Date: Friday, September 23, 2016
Check-in at 8:30 a.m. - The Park of East Texas grounds (See Directions below)
Contest begins at 9:00 a.m.
Results are announced at 1:00 p.m. in Building C on the Fairgrounds.
- Each FFA Chapter and organized 4-H Club can enter one team per Chapter or 4-H Club plus one team for each Agricultural Science Teacher or 4-H Leader.
- Teams consist of four students who are all members of the same Chapter or Club. No substitution from other Chapters or Clubs is allowed. To be eligible, team members must be enrolled in school, below college level, and be an active member of the Chapter or Club they represent.
- 25 plants for the contest will be selected from the plant list of 50 plants (available below). The team should use the Chart for Plant Identification provided and contact the East Texas State Fair at 903-597-2501 or the Natural Resources Conservation Service at 903-561-2050, Extension 3 for additional questions or information.
- Plants used may be mounted or live specimens, or a combination of the two.
- Contestants will be given a score card and allowed 1 minute to identify, write in the common name and check the characteristics of each of the plants in the contest.
- Scoring will be by points. IF THE NAME IS INCORRECT, no credit will be given for characteristics identified.
- Team score is derived from three high individual scores on each team.
- In the event of a tie, judges will determine how the tie is broken and who shall receive the award. Their decision is final.
- Trophies will be presented to the five top teams and five top individuals.
- Students with scheduling conflicts due to Livestock Show should contact Denise Weaver for options.